I have many strengths, but being on-trend is not one of them.
My younger sister, Hilary, is the exact opposite. The timeline of her adopting a trend compared to me catching on to it looks like this:
- Hilary does the thing/wears the thing.
- I look at her owning the thing and think, yeah that works for you but I’d never be able to pull it off.
- 1-2 years later everyone else is doing/wearing the thing and I start seeing it everywhere.
- I get used to the thing. I ruminate about the thing. I read articles and blog posts and pore over pictures.
- Aaaand finally, a year after that, I finally reconsider the thing and decide to adopt it for myself.
It’s a studied, thoughtful, ridiculous process, but it’s my process and I’m so firmly entrenched in it that I don’t even bother trying to change it anymore.