I have many strengths, but being on-trend is not one of them.
My younger sister, Hilary, is the exact opposite. The timeline of her adopting a trend compared to me catching on to it looks like this:
- Hilary does the thing/wears the thing.
- I look at her owning the thing and think, yeah that works for you but I’d never be able to pull it off.
- 1-2 years later everyone else is doing/wearing the thing and I start seeing it everywhere.
- I get used to the thing. I ruminate about the thing. I read articles and blog posts and pore over pictures.
- Aaaand finally, a year after that, I finally reconsider the thing and decide to adopt it for myself.
It’s a studied, thoughtful, ridiculous process, but it’s my process and I’m so firmly entrenched in it that I don’t even bother trying to change it anymore.
Although I periodically share links to my writing on the Sweet Madeleine Facebook page, this weekly post will gather all of my non-blog writing links together in one place in case you’d like to read them.
Here are my published posts from 02/18-02/24. Enjoy!
A Dirty Dancing Novice and Expert Discuss the Film 30 Years After Its Release
Angelina Jolie DGAF About Hollywood and It’s Time We All Accept It
This Statue of Kanye West as Jesus Is Bewildering, Also… Kind of Awesome?
In Best News of the Week, Literal Witches Are Trying to Stop Donald Trump
What to do If Alleged Assaulter Casey Affleck Wins an Oscar Sunday Night
Have a great weekend!
Sometimes I like to pretend that I have this parenting thing all figured out and I write parenting advice posts.
I have written a handful of them since birthing my demon into this world, posts like:
- Lies They Tell You About Infant Sleep
- Parenting Into the Abyss
- How to Design Your Home to Support Self-Reliance
- How to Avoid Toy Store Tantrums
- Why We Marched
- and Things I’ve Done Right, in which I allow myself a bit of self-congratulatory basking
But this post, the one you’re reading right now, is the best parenting post I’ll ever write because it explains how to parent from bed.
Soooo President Trump is has done a ton of shit-awful things in his first ten days, Olive seems to be talking EXTRA a lot lately, and I woke up this morning to find that my license plate had been stolen.
Did you know that was a thing? I didn’t, but hey! Apparently, that’s a thing! The more you know…
Anyway! In the face of all this bullshit, some wonderful things have also happened in this, the first month of 2017, that make me think this will be an A+ year.