I am throwing this post into the depths of The Internet as a bulleted list due to the lack of time and ability to coherently craft something better. I have drafts upon drafts, people, but the polish is missing so. Here we go! Let the tangents begin!
– Things are weird here at the moment – I am incredibly exhausted and can’t pin down a reason why. So I’m going back to the basics and making sure I am eating three meals a day, sleeping 7-8 hours a night, drinking water and taking my pills. You know, all that tremendously exciting stuff. Try to keep up with this wild lifestyle, ok?
– The house hunt has intensified and we are actually thinking about maybe perhaps someday soon making an offer on something. One thing. One house, I mean, in particular. What? WHat! Calm down, Madeleine, shhhhh. Play it cool.
– Book stuff: A few lovely people have contacted me and asked how to get their book signed, so I thought I would let you know: it can be done! There’s a few different ways to go about doing it, so if you simply must have my horrid man-writing befoul your copy too, contact me at info(at)sweetmadeleine(dot)ca and we can discuss particulars.
Also: Others have contacted me asking about e-book versions and YES, they exist! They will be rolled out in the next week or so, and although I personally can’t let go of holding an actual physical book in front of me,I know tons of people love the e-books and they are a fantastic option for reducing the amount of physical stuff you own. You can also borrow a copy, or ask your local library to carry it!
– I am weaning Olive. I mean, I have weaned Olive. This morning. I am taken aback by how heartbroken I feel right now – especially given that it was my decision. I feel incredibly raw and morose, and I’m not going to lie there have been tears. Mostly from me.
I never in my life thought I would nurse a toddler, and I can’t quite express why it was time to stop, but it was. Nonetheless I still feel quite mopey, weepy and despondent about the whole thing. It’s the end of an era, and one I will really, really miss. Now I just have to restrain myself from reading more articles about how choosing to wean before your child does it naurally inflicts deep psychological wounds impossible to recover from.
Go to hell, Internet. Can’t you just ever say anything nice?
– I am hereby issuing all of you a formal invitation to my new thing, The Haggard Moms Club. To gain admission you must show me the faded black leggings you wear every day, and your mug of cold coffee currently abandoned on the change table. We meet in secret during nap times and eat treats from the naughty cupboard while weeping silently about how all we want in the world is a back massage and a decent haircut that requires zero maintenance but still looks amazing every single day no matter what.
– Who am I kidding, topknots 4 lyfe.
– That’s all. This haggard mom is out.
Aah, The Haggard Mums Club. Awesome. I’m there. You’ll know it’s me by the black or grey trackies (sweatpants) and long sleeve top, the not-intentionally-messy-but-moderately-functional-“bun”, and the way I randomly grab my boobs checking to see which one’s full. Lately though, they’re not as full as they used to be, I guess because the tadpole is 10months now and doesn’t really “need” them as much. This makes me sad, and now worried about the trauma (mine) of weaning in a couple of months. I hear ya sista! Take care of yourself, O.k? The club just wouldn’t be the same without you 🙂
Don’t underestimate the impact that weaning has on you, it mucks up your hormones and stuff, so that may explain why you’re feeling the way you are! Sash over at InkedInColour wrote this post on weaning, you might find some solace in it – http://www.inkedincolour.com/10-ways-ease-weaning-blues/ – but in the meantime your new club sounds wonderful, count me in! I’m currently drinking a cold cup of tea that I made over an hour ago!
Had the exact same feeling about weaning my 2 year old! Much harder on me than it was on her, I still really, really miss it a lot. It was such an incredible way to bond with her and I will forever cherish that time. Your hormones definitely have to readjust a bit after so could be why you are feeling off. I am with you sister, hang in there! !! 🙂
We need a hashtag for this Haggard Moms Club! I’ll hashtag the sh*z out of it all over social media!
I am going to make it official somehow. A badge. Or a pin. Some FLAIR! 😉
MUGS!! Oh, PLEASE let it be mugs. And pins. Yes, you’re onto something here. I’m in.
Love Sam’s comment about the automatic boob check. Add to this the fact that there is an acceptable level of staining on my clothes that can easily be ignored, as frankly I cannot physically cope with more laundry. I actually marvelled today at the fact i could see the bottom of my laundry basket. Here’s to haggard motherhood: polished, ironed, manicured motherhood is frankly quite creepy xxx
I’d really love to master the top knot. Right now the best I can manage is a side braid. My daughter’s current favorite thing to do is grab tiny strands of my hair and rip them from scalp while she nurses. #HaggardMomsClub
What can I say…. It’s a laugh and a cry all in one….. I have been searching the internet for weeks, in vain, trying to find a picture of “that haircut” to show my hairdresser and you just put it into words perfectly!! ….’the haircut that requires zero maintenance but looks amazing every single day’. Soooo sick of top knots, but so sick of my hair being pulled by little hands whenever it isn’t in a top knot! Keep writing please, reading your posts somehow makes me feel like I’m not going totally nuts on this mummy journey!
[…] I look like a card carrying Pregnancy Chapter member of the #HaggardMomsClub (I’m not going to put up a picture of an exhausted-looking, broke-down Mama to compare […]